[MR] Wikipedia: The White Ship Disaster

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Sun Nov 1 02:26:27 PST 2015

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1141, Stephen of Blois regained the throne of England
from the Empress Matilda, during the period of English history known as
"The Anarchy", in essence a civil war between Stephen and his cousin
Matilda. It's complicated. Read the Brother Cadfael mysteries--you will
enjoy them more.

Today I want to call your attention the what caused this terrible period
in English history, the 1120 sinking of the White Ship (or Blanche-Nef
as it was more properly called). The White Ship was carrying William
Adelin, only legitimate son of the English king Henry I, and some 300
nobles and crew as it left Barfleur in Normandy bound for England. The
ship struck a rock near the harbor mouth and capsized. Only two people
survived the sinking by clinging to the rock, but William Adelin was not
one of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ship .

Henry I's daughter and now sole legitimate heir, Empress Matilda (widow
of the Holy Roman Emperor, thus her title) attempted to claim the throne
after her father's death in 1135. She was opposed by Stephen of Blois.
The civil war lasted from 1138 to 1153, and devastated much of England.
With both sides more or less equally matched and having fought to a
stalemate, a treaty was drawn by which Stephen agreed to succession by
Henry II, Matilda's son. Henry died in 1154.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot