[MR] [Archers] BBC: 1944 Henry V Still Photos Found

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Mon May 18 17:19:08 PDT 2015

M'Lord Barre,

I see what you mean. The actor certainly isn't looking like this is a
life-or-death situation. He's not half as bad as that man-at-arms who
walks out of the door to the great hall in Notingham Castle during the
ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD's first major fight scene and gets skewered. He
acts like he's wandering down to the pub for pint of ale. Probably some
studio exec's nephew.

There actually are a lot of medieval illuminations that show archers
shooting on the right side of the bow, and they can't all be just bad
art. I suspect that once you get used to it, shooting that way isn't all
that difficult. I certainly would want a glove though. I do shoot off
the hand (though on the left side of the bow), and have always used one.
My gloves get pretty chewed up, so I'm glad not to be shooting off bare
skin.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Who Has Been Shooting Period For the Last Two Years