[MR] BBC: Painted Statues in St. Albans Cathedral

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Sun Apr 26 03:00:28 PDT 2015

Noble Friends,

Today the BBC is featuring a brief story on painted statues being
installed in St. Albans Cathedral in England. In the middle ages many
statues, and indeed the walls of most churches, were richly decorated
and brightly painted. The paint, and many of the statues, did not
survive time and the Protestant reformation, so St. Albans' statues are
an interesting return to the past:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-32453423 .

Also interesting to me is the nave screen where these images stand. Most
of us have heard of rood screens, wooden or sometimes stone screens
separating the chancel/choir (the area around the altar reserved for
clergy) from the nave (the area where the laity stood). Rood screens
were topped with a cross or an image of Jesus. There were also chancel
screens, which were about the same thing but lacked the cross/image.
Both types of screens were well perforated, and at least allowed the
laity to watch as the mass was performed, particularly the important
moment when the priest elevated the host. During the Protestant
reformation, most of these screens were destroyed, though in more recent
years some have been replaced in restoration projects.

A nave screen was a more extreme version of the rood or chancel screen
made in stone and often perforated only by a doorway. There was no way
any lay person was going to see what was happening before the altar
unless they were standing at the doorway. I was completely unaware of
nave screens until just last week. As part of my work at UVA, I was
cataloging a group of slides from York Minister which still has a very
large and solid nave screen known as the Kings' Screen. York Minster's
nave screen has statues of all the English kings from William I to Henry
VI. There is a photo at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Minster . This
was quite surprising, as there was no such feature in any English
churches I have visited or seen in pictures. So St. Albans has another
surviving example.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot