[MR] The ancient fortress that has historians baffled

via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Thu Apr 9 11:06:57 PDT 2015

   Hi there,

   I saw this in the news this morning:
   [1]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3028656/The-an
   cient-fortress-historians-Putin-baffled-knows-spectacular-1-300-year-ol
   d-Siberian-island-fort-built-abandoned.html

   I'm not sure what Putin's authority as a historian might be :)

   "At first glance the rectangular island of Por-Bajin looks like a
   foreboding fortress or prison, with its regular structure and ruined
   sections.

   "But it is unknown for certain what the rectangular island and its
   labyrinthine ruins, located in a lake in deepest Siberia, was actually
   used for when it was built 1,300 years ago.

   "Historians and scientists are divided, but some experts believe the
   isolated area may have been built to attract people instead imprisoning
   them, and suggest it was a summer palace, monastery, or an astronomical
   observatory."

   Sovány Barcsi János
   "Right action is better than knowledge; but in order to do what is
   right, we must know what is right." -- Charlemagne