[MR] Wikipedia: Roanoke Colony Founded

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Thu Apr 9 02:03:12 PDT 2015

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1585, a fleet under the command of Sir Richard Grenville
departed Plymouth, England to found the Roanoke Colony in what is now
North Carolina: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony . The
driving force behind the colony was none other than that "man on the
tobacco can", Sir Walter Raleigh. Sadly, we all have heard of the "Lost
Colony" and the mysterious disappearance of the inhabitants.

Raleigh, noted for throwing his cloak in the mud for Queen Elizabeth,
was one of the most interesting figures of the Elizabethan court. He was
handsome, courageous, flamboyant, a tireless self-promoter, hated by
most of his contemporaries, and a prominent failure. He spent many years
in the Tower of London until James I had his head removed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Raleigh .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot