[MR] BBC: 7th Century Gaming Piece

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 23 16:44:07 PST 2013

Lord Mungo Napier mentioned:
<<< This morning BBC reported on the discovery of a 7th century Saxon gaming piece, sort of like a thick bone checker:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25041254 >>>

Remember that board game that you threw out years ago, because you were missing those essential game pieces . . .

In another thousand years, some archeologist may be digging through the remains of "a 20th century gathering room, where we think they gathered to play ritual games with wooden and 'plastical' playing pieces. We found what we think is the magical 'Q' tile from their game to choose baby names, under what we think is a "sota". Since this is the 10th "Q' symbol, according to its number, we believe that this proves there were a lot more 20th century names that contained this symbol than the few movies we've been able to decipher would indicate. We still can't figure out how the 12-sided object was used in this game, however."

:-)
Stefan

games-msg (113K) 7/18/04 Medieval board games and sports.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/games-msg.html
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris