[MR] Book of great interest to Scadians

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Thu Aug 27 11:28:18 PDT 2009

Friends,

We've hit the jackpot: HENRY VIII, ARMS AND THE MAN, 1509-2009, edited
by Graeme Rimer, Thom Richardson, J.P.D. Cooper (ISBN 9780948092626; our
call # Fine Arts NK6601.5 .G7 H46 2009). This book is the catalog to
accompany the current major exhibition at the Tower of London, "Henry
VIII, Dressed to Kill", and a marvelous book it is. Largely full-colour,
it is lavishly illustrated with contemporary paintings and prints,  plus
modern photos (some in fantastic close-up detail) of Henry's surviving
armour, as well as swords, bills, daggers, and all sorts of other lethal
toys carried by the King Himself, and his guards and associates. Even my
beloved longbows, arrows and the fragment of a leather spacer, all from
the MARY ROSE are shown. Included is a two-page spread of the naval
battle of 1545 when that unfortunate ship was sent to the bottom. With
so much material to cover, the individual chapters are short, but there
are sections on court dress, food and dining at the court, the Tower of
London, tournaments and sports (he was a really major jock!), treatment
of injury and disease among his soldiers, and so much more. This book
truly is a treasure and will be a valuable resource for anyone
interested in the early to mid-16th century.

Kind regards,

Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir's Unofficial Librarian
(mka Garth Groff)