[MR] Period Chocolate Recipes

Robyn Becker reyne_telarius at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:58:14 PDT 2009

While I know you're specifically looking for recipes, there is a great book out there that also delves into the origins of chocolate, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject

It is called 'The True History of Chocolate' by Sophie and Michael D. Coe.  I bought mine from Poison Pen Press last year at Pennsic.

There ARE some recipes in this book, but they all seem to be from the mid to late 1600's, especially in Italy.  The Spanish had it first, of course, and jealously guarded the secret from the rest of Europe for many years.  I believe that, when it finally got out, it was gratis of the Jesuit priests.

However, these recipes are all for drinks.  Food recipes didn't show up until much later.

If you (or anyone else,for that matter) would like some of these recipes, and can't or don't wish to wait to get the book, please let me know, and I will type them up and send them off.

YIS,

Reyne

A true friend is someone who knows all your faults and habits, and loves you anyway.
Per chevron purpure and vert, two sheaves of arrows and a griffin argent