[MR] hebrew (fwd)

Craig Levin clevin at ripco.com
Mon Sep 27 07:26:20 PDT 2004

Rosalind:

> Dear Ana  -  a ruler would not have given such a scroll, true, but there
> is another model that could be used - the ketuba, which is the marriage
> contract given to the bride. I have seen pictures of some that do go
> back to the Middle Ages, and the illuminations and decorations are
> beautiful. They might be a good source for something that would
> certainly have the look of an authentic document that a Jewish persona
> could have had, even if the language of the document would be SCAdian.
> Hope this helps, M. Rosalind Jehanne

Ketubot, both in the past and today, are indeed works of scribal
genius. Devora and I have placed ours in our living room just as
we would with any other treasured work of art.

However, a ketuba's intent is very different from an award. I
would feel very uncomfortable about someone using the ketuba
format for an SCA award when other documents exist.

Pedro