[MR] Missive for all autocrats

DMC in DC xdmcx at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 13:33:33 PDT 2004

I am new to the SCA (started in June) and was just
speaking of this yesterday on the way to an event.  I
had the directions given from the event page, but
would have preferred the exact address or even the
closest intersection with directions from there, so I
could plug ~something~ into Map Quest and get the best
directions from my house to the event, and also to get
the length of time it would take me to get there.

I also find that Map Quest directions work best for me
as well, because I can check my mileage when it says I
will be on a certain route for 10 miles before the
next exit, and if I go over that 10 miles, I know I
might have missed the exit and recheck my directions
and turn around if need be.  Without knowing this, I
could keep driving onward, still looking for the
correct exit or turn off.  This is what happened
yesterday on the way to the event... we had to stop at
a gas station and get directions back to the road we
were looking for and somehow had missed.

Map Quest works well for so many people, but yet we
are unable to use this tool if we do not have the
address of the event to plug into Map Quest.  Why is
it too big of a deal to give out the exact address of
the event?  I am planning on going to two more events
coming up, and neither lists the address of the event
for people to use with Map Quest.  I just don't
understand why the physical address of the events are
never given when it would help a lot of people get
there much better.

- Edonia Mackay

=====