[MR] Re: who is to blame. (was possessive pronoun use catfight)

Jennifer Drury welshwmn3 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 5 22:33:20 PDT 2004

>the fact that you were treated poorly does not change
>the general principle. i have heard several ladies
>tell me "yeah, your pavilion is great and all, but i
>can't put it up myself and no one will help me." so
>they stick to little nylon earth pimples and never
>force the people around them to step up.

But why should anybody have to "force" another to do what is just good
courtesy?  If it is forced, is it courtesy anymore?

>the basic problem is this. i don't know what you need.
>if you do not tell me what you want me to do, i can't
>be the gentleman you need me to be. i realize that
>this is a terrible burden (it is, i am not being
>snide) but if you don't carry it, i cannot even find
>my burden.
>
>Domenico

You told a story, now let me answer you with a story of my own.

Several years ago, I was recuperating from knee surgery and traveling about
the known world some, and ended up in Mobile, with some friends.  While I
was there, the lady I was staying with broke her foot in a very bad way, so
bad, she needed surgery, pins, and a week in the hospital to make sure all
was ok.  Once home, she was required to stay off her foot for two months.
So she had rented a wheelchair.

Looking around for something to do on a weekend, I found that the group
local to Mobile (in Trimaris, and I'm very sorry that I don't remember the
name of the group there) was hosting a weekend long event.  I wasn't feeling
up to going for the weekend, but wished to attend on Saturday.  My friend
had never been to an SCA event (but had heard a lot about it from me), and
wished to attend with me, although she was concerned about me overdoing it
as I was still supposed to be taking it easy on my knee, and I'd have to
push the chair she was using all day.  I assured her that it would be all
right, and dressed her in my extra garb, and we went day tripping to the
event.  (Side note:  You know you are in the SCA when you take enough garb
for you and a friend on a 'recuperation visit'.)

The site being used was an old fort on an island, which is now a state park.
  The parking lot was located on the burm, so wheeling my friend down to the
entrance wasn't a bad thing (and I wasn't going to think about wheeling her
back up when we were ready to leave).  The gate of the fort was a tunnel
about 10 feet wide and still had the original cobble stones on the ground.
It posed no problem for us as we entered the site.  We enjoyed the day, and
my friend was able to see the SCA at it's finest throughout the course of
the day, including one gentle seeing me starting to limp yet still wheeling
my friend through grass towards the smithy.  He asked if he could help and
when I relinquished the spot, pushed my friend where we wished to go.

All went well that day, the battles were glorious and fun, the arts and
sciences displayed were awesome; in all it was what one expects to see at a
well run SCA event.  After court, we decided to leave as we were both very
tired.  That was when disaster struck.  The cobblestones that had been no
problem earlier caught one of the driving (big) wheelchair tires, and
separated the rubber from the metal.  Needless to say, the chair stopped
rolling.  I had just enough time to assess what was wrong when 4 burly men
came to our aid.  (The amazing thing about that was that we were the only
ones in the 'gate tunnel', and I'd not seen anybody around the inside of the
entrance as we'd passed to leave.)  Two of the men were Knights, one man was
a Squire, and one man had no belt or other regalia to signify if he had any
'special' rank.  One gentle drew me away from the chair, one helped my
friend to stand up and told her to lean on him to avoid putting weight on
the ankle, and the other two turned the chair on it's side, and between the
two of them, manhandled the rubber back onto the metal where it belonged.  I
hadn't even had the time to look around for help, much less 'force' somebody
to be a gentleman for me.

The end of this story is that once my friend was safely back in the chair,
one of the gentles grabbed the handlebars, and started pushing her out the
gate, to my protestations that he'd done enough and I could manage (even
though they were weak protestations, even to my own ears).  He not only
pushed her up that hill that I'd been secretly dreading all day, but then
even went so far as to put the wheelchair into my trunk so I'd not have to
do it, after my friend was seated in the car, of course.  The impression my
friend had from that day, and that act of unrequested chivalry was extremely
favorable.

In my home group, there are a few gentles I know I could call upon to help
if a situation like that happened here, and a few who I'm sure would help
without being asked.  But I was in a situation where I was among complete
strangers.  The only time any of them had met me was that day, and yet, they
responded quickly and without my having to ask.

To me, that exemplifies what the SCA is about.

It's not about anybody 'forcing' another to be courteous.  Chivalry is in
deeds, in my humble opinion, not words or titles.

My only regret of that whole day is that once the gentles were done helping
me, I had enough time to thank them for helping us before they went back to
whatever tasks they'd been about before seeing the chair break, but I hadn't
the wits about me to ask their names so I could write of them and the
incident to TRM Trimaris.

In Service,
Bronwen of Hindscroft