[MR] Woman Attacked at Pennsic

Mel mweymark at carolina.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 17:08:45 PDT 2004

My Lord Faleston,

Though I agree with your anger, not for the same reason. I myself left
camp on my own last Pennsic with the thought in my head "I am a big
girl, I don't need a babysitter".  I had heard the stories of years
past when women had been attacked or even so far as raped but like
every other rape victim or victim of attack in mind I simply thought
"that could never happen to me".  The good Lady Catalina is correct  in
that Pennsic has taken on the problems of a small or even a large town.
  This can not be an excuse for the actions of some but more a wake up
call.  To men and women alike that in our fantasy world of times long
gone we can not let the very real dangers of this time slip our mind.

Ego stopped me from taking or asking for an escort at Pennsic XXXII.
It wont stop me again.  Nor will I ever let a friend (male or female)
walk off at night alone.  I feel awful for this good lady for what she
went through and for the permanent scare this awful deed has surely
left on her.

We as a community have not taken the events of the past as warnings.
We must now realize that not all have the Chivalry or nobility we prize
so dearly and protect our family and friends from it when we can.  Take
every precaution to ensure no lady walks an SCA camp with fear in her
heart.

With a wish for a safe and happy future,
I remain in service to all, both great and small.
Lady Caterine St. Loe
Baronial Minister of Minors
The Barony of the Sacred Stone
Kingdom of Atlantia