[MR] Is the Acorn the reason you're a member?

Morvyth verch Morgan morvyth_verch_morgan at cox.net
Sun Dec 19 14:36:10 PST 2004

And the answer to that is (in my case), no way!  The Acorn alone is not
worth the cost of membership.

My Acorn (I pay for first class) gets here far later than I think is
appropriate (I still don't have the December issue).  I've complained
to the Post Office, but my mail carrier is (to be polite), an ass with
an attitude who also REGULARLY misdelivers mail within my townhouse
cluster and along his entire route.  (Yes, there are complaints against
him, and as prez of the townhouse cluster, I'm trying to get the local
postmaster to get off their duff and DO something about this...so far,
to no avail.   Oh and this week alone I've had two packages in my
mailbox that aren't for me and whose addresses don't even remotely
resemble mine, just to give an example of how bad mail service CAN
be.....).

So if the Acorn WERE the reason I joined, I'd be sadly disappointed.
Whether its the fault of the SCA or the US government, snail mail in
the Washington DC area is no longer timely and I don't count on it if
there is a deadline.  I used FedEx or UPS...  or rely on couriers.

While I do have a permanent mailing address, I'd be a MUCH happier
camper if the Acorn were available electronically (PDF) for download at
the time the issue was mailed to those who want/need snail mail.  I'd
HAPPILY give up the paper copy... it's one less thing to shred/recycle.

Yes, I know there is the matter of SCA policy.  SCA policy needs to be
revisted in these times of less reliability of snail mail and more
caution/security/paranoia which causes it (and allows lazy slackers to
get away with bloody murder while "working" for the Post Office, but I
digress....).

I'm all for RSS feeds.... as soon as they're available, I'm there.  I'm
even more for making electronic versions of all documentation
available... as soon as they're legal, I'm there.

~Morvyth