[MR] RE: paying to play

Stacie Larson csrpnt at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 06:13:41 PST 2004

Greetings.  His Grace, Duke Logan, is correct, you do not have to be a
member to fight in any tourney in Atlantia (except Crown Tourney; you
do have to be a member to be Heir or Monarch, after all, so it just
makes better sense to have the combatants be members for whichever has
the good fortune to win (Society Organizational Handbook IV.A.2 and
Kingdom Law 6.2.5.1.2)).  But, I thought I'd fill out His Grace's
answer in case you were still curious.

Until several years ago, you did have to be a paid member in order to
fight in Atlantia.  This was a pain because it meant that fighters who
forgot their cards couldn't fight (making those fighters more than a
little unhappy and MoLs very sad to turn them away), Tuchux and other
non-SCA folks who wanted to play with us had to be SCA members even
though they weren't in the SCA, and authorized fighters from other
Kingdoms with different rules often couldn't fight when visiting
Atlantia.  That changed a few years back, and I haven't heard any cries
to undo it.

Now, in order to fight in Atlantia, you must sign the waiver.  You can
do that when you get membership, by signing the waiver on the form and
mailing it to Milpitas.  The BLUE member card means you have a waiver
on file at the Corporate office, and you can fight in any tourney
(assuming you're authorized, of course!).  If you don't have a blue
card (didn't sign the waiver with your membership (or signed
illegibly), so you have a WHITE card; aren't a member; or just plain
old forgot your card), you can still fight; you just have to sign a
waiver at the MoL table when you sign in and pay $1 for the privilege.

I hope that answers your question!

Cheers,
Cecily
(until recently Atlantian Clerk of Law and Stierbach's Baronial MoL,
now  shiny new temporary denizen of the Midrealm, where my bulk-rate
Pale came on Dec. 2)