[MR] Yet another comment on the Acorn

Bill Mauldin wmauldin at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 17 19:23:52 PST 2004

I know this is not endemic to the Acorn. I am very active with the local
unit of Disabled American Veterans. We send 150 newsletters and choose to
send as bulk mail to save money for our real work, charity. Our post office
commented that since it was not first class, the US Postage and Storage
office would distribute them as they have time to. There would be no rush
though. My thought - storage for a penny a day isn't really a bad deal is
it? Personally, I do pay first class postage and get my copy in a timely
manner.

Western North Carolina has recently gone through a trend of 911 and EMS
dispatch offices creating new roads, renumbering people's addresses and
generally creating chaos. I get misdirected regularly, even though my
neighborhood was renumbered a couple of years ago.

I do have a constructive suggestion. In the back of the Acorn is longer list
of event names without full descriptions of the details. If a group or
autocrat could post a web address for an information flyer on that list, it
would be published in the Acorn. Members would get to see it first. I would
suggest NOT posting the address on the kingdom web site. Leave the only
recognized reference in the Acorn, but it could be visible a month or two in
advance. When the full flyer is published and delivered, then the address
link could appear on the kingdom website. Surely households or groups could
post an additional page, without added links except for autocrat e-mail, and
not attached to the site's navigational structure. There are many of us that
can use computer tools to translate documents or even e-mail into HTML.

Geffrei Maudeleyne