[MR] RE: I got the funk......hat

C. Brian Towey cbt at ib-ent.com
Tue Dec 21 14:01:50 PST 2004

I dunno...  It looks to me like it was knotted upside down, starting with a
circular brow at the top and gathering threads into the square knots as they
worked toward the peak, ending with the tassel of the working cords.  The
lining covers what I suspect to be a row of lark's heads at the brow.  I
like the way some panels are knotted sideways, with clove hitch (?) borders.
This is not an early example of the art.  If this was made in the 1570s,
real honest-to-God macramé must have been around a while.

It makes me want to get out some yarn and try it.

Charles Fleming