[MR] medieval finger rings

Tatsushu . tatsushu at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 10:38:23 PST 2004

>1) Medieval fingers were much smaller than mine. I was  lucky to get these
>adult rings onto my first finger joints, and though I am  a tall woman, I
>have medium-sized hands.

I wonder about that.  I seem to recall when I was in the V&A I saw a
reliquary in the shape of a hand:

http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/UK/V&A/hand1.jpg

I should have a better picture, somewhere, but notice on the ring finger
just where the ring was worn.  I recall a brief bit of research into this
and found that it was quite normal, apparently, to wear rings on the
extremeties, like this, rather than pushing them all the way down.  I don't
know if it was a fashion for a particular time and place or a generalized
way of wearing rings across Europe.

-Ii