[MR] SPAM from Merry Rose List?

Kendrick Wayfarer kendrick at wayfarer.org
Fri Dec 3 12:19:35 PST 2004

Irwin said the following on 12/3/04 1:27 PM:
> Has anyone else on the MR List received SPAM from http://www.arimathaea.com
> "To our friends in the SCA"
> Subject; "Gifts for the castle"
>
> I have never done business with this company and thought that they may
> be mining the MR or other Barony lists for e-mail addresses.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a fact of life that e-mail addresses
will get out.  The Merry Rose takes reasonable precautions to
protect e-mail addresses by "munging" them in the archives, but
if you post to a public list you still run the risk that someone
will collect your e-mail address and use it.

We do, however, try hard to make sure SPAM doesn't make it directly
to the list.  Perhaps the spammers have realized this and started
going after individual e-mail addresses instead?  (I doubt it,
considering how much spam I clear out of the moderation queue each
day, but hey, you never know.. :-)

In service,
Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Listkeeper, Merry Rose