[MR] Chalice of the Sun God -- team competition update

egeorges egeorges at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 07:11:34 PDT 2003

Unto the noble populace of Atlantia, Greetings!

Here at Lorenzo de Medici's summer palazzo in Ponte Alto, we have received
the first word of teams assembling to compete for the Chalice of the Sun
God, and indeed we are very excited!  Please remember that all teams must be
entered before 11 a.m. the day of the Competition, September 20.  You may
submit a team entry via email to the autocrat, at scalucia at cox.net before
midnight on September 18th, OR you may submit your team entry on site at
troll before 11 a.m. on Septemner 20.  A proper entry will include:  the
name of the team, the name of each team member, and the discipline in which
each team member will compete for the team.  The deadline will be strictly
adhered to.

We have also received some questions, so here is some more info:

Teams must field a person in at least 4 of the 5 disciplines -- heavy,
rapier, A&S, performance A&S, and archery.  You may as a single person,
compete in more than one discipline on behalf of your team.  You may not, as
a single person, compete in one discipline on behalf of two different teams.
You may, as a single person, compete in one discipline as a member of one
team and in a second discipline as a member of a different team.  Each
participant will receive points based on participation and acheivement in
each discipline. (Yes, you get points just for fielding someone).  The top 4
scores for each team will be counted towards the overall team score.  The
team with the highest score wins the Chalice of the Sun God!

You could, ostensibly, have a one-person team.  While this would be
difficult, it would certainly not be out of the question.  It should also be
noted that the scores for team purposes are set up so that each discipline
is potentially of equal value towards the score.  In other words, extreme
excellence in one specific discipline is not going to necessarily carry the
day.  It is far more likely that competitors with 2 or more moderately good
members in any discipline will probably win.  In other words, if one team
has the Chalice Heavy Weapons Champion and 4 people who do little more than
show up, and another team has an archer, an artisan and a bard that all
score in the top 8, the second team will most likely win the Chalice.  The
team competition is designed to encourage collaboration between the
disciplines, not a single person's prowess.

Your participation in the Chalice tourneys is what will be counted towards
your team score.  For archers, participation in the Chalice round is not
incompatible with participation in the Lochmere arrow shoot.  You CAN do
both.

For even more information, check out the event website:
http://pontealto.atlantia.sca.org/chalice.html

All of Atlantia's noble baronies are invited to enter their Baronial
Champions as teams.  Likewise, it is our hope that many of the great houses
of Atlantia will be represented.  There is much glory to be won at Chalice
of the Sun God.  We of Ponte Alto hope to meet you all on the field of honor
there.  If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Until
then I remain,

In service,
Luce Antony Venus
Autocrat, Chalice of the Sun God