[MR] Pennsic tidings

Arthur Donadio dukecuan at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 06:38:41 PDT 2003

Friends All:

Early this morning, Padraigin and I returned from Landgrab.  Our thanks to
Lucas for doing the majority of the driving!  Now, as I sit here in my
office, trying to wake up and face my appointments for the day, I just
thought I would write to you about the first weekend of war.  After so many
years, I still get so excited as August approaches that it is hard to
concentrate on much besides preparing for the War.  Seeing old friends from
around the world and reliving old memories of pitched battles and late night
conversations about everything and nothing, seeing friends recognized for
their efforts, the arts and the merchants - right now there is nothing I do
not like about Pennsic!

The land assignment process went smoothly, and it seems that most folks got
the spot they wanted and the land to which they were entitled.  Vair and
Ermine and the other Northern groups are up on the road to the North Gate,
Badoin and his folks are down the hill, Logan is out the  North Gate,
Marinus is in its usual spot, as is Windmasters and the Gaggle.  And blessed
Milleacre, my home, is in N06, right next to Ansteorran Royal.  I know their
Royal Highnesses would love for you to drop by and visit.  We saw Havordh
and Mary Grace arrive with full SUV and massive trailer.  When I left, they
were setting up in Atlantian Royal.   Wookie is again set up directly across
the street from the belly dancing A&S tent, Bedford is on the other side of
the battlefield, and Mooseledge and Gunther are up the hill and down the
road from the fort.

I saw with some pride that Baroness Giuliana (sp) of Hidden Mountain was
working troll when I rolled in on Friday night late, and that Master Tirloch
and several other Atlantians were there first thing Saturday morning.
Atlantia's tradition of volunteerism at Pennsic continues!  Our kingdom
chirurgeon, Lady Ree, is working the war and serving as Padraigin's water
bearing deputy this week while we are gone.  Lord John der Vandervelde (of
Bedford) volunteered to make sure the A&S tents get watered.  And these are
just the volunteers I heard about between setting up tents.

The weather at Pennsic this weekend was a little spotty.  It was nice and
cool Friday night with no measurable rain.  Saturday was partly sunny, high
of about 80, and a nice breeze.  Late Saturday/early Sunday morning there
was a thunderstorm, but I was dead to the world and slept right through it.
Sunday dawned cool and cloudy.  About 10:00am, we were hit with a pretty
good downpur of some of the coldest rain I can remember.  The temperature
dropped by a good 10 degrees but the heavy stuff only lasted for about 15
minutes.  Then it was off and on drizzle until P and Lukas and I had to make
our way home.  The ground is nice and moist, so I do not think dust will be
a major problem this year.

I would suggest that everyone box what they can in plastic, pack hot
beverage mixes, and sealed containers of fresh clothes.  I don't think this
is going to be one of those legendary Pennsic rain events, but I do think
things will tend to be damp and cool in the evenings.  Personally, I will
take damp and cool over parched and blazing hot!

In closing, I hope that all of you who are attending Pennsic travel safely
(they still aren't finished with I79 in Pa.) and that those of you who
cannot make it this year start planning to attend the next one.
There truly is no place like Pennsic for experiencing the full flavor of the
SCA.  My only regret from landgrab weekend is that I still have not had my
first chocolate milk.  I will remedy that on Friday.

In anticipation bordering that of a small child on Christmas Eve, I remain

In Service,

Cuan