[MR] Re: Merchants at Pennsic

Danielle Scott ladydanielabh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:03:24 PDT 2003

Regarding Merchanting at War:
Okay I was wondering what had happened with Pillaged Village, and yes it was
a bit harsh but if there were several cases of selling after hours then it
really isn't fair to the rest of the merchants or the Cooper's when the
rules are set for everyone.  As for Iolo I think that he had many
opportunities stop before being evicted, as a person involved in safety and
health this could cause a threat, you know what they say anything that can
go wrong might and besides if something gods forbid should happen it's the
Cooper's that are responsible.  So we haven't heard from the Cooper's side
but I think in the letter written by Iolo even he realized he was in the
wrong.  I can remember when a person could carpet and basket merchant at the
war and walking through felt more like stepping back in to time and into
period merchant places than like walking through a renaissance festival.

Food Vendors:
This new development on the grill and Casta Diva bothers me greatly.  I have
seen them go to the extremes to make changes when requested and will miss
them greatly. If it wasn't for the grill I wouldn't have had my last great
meal at the war.  Wednesday after court let out they were the only place
that was open to get a dinner at (our camp fends for itself on midnight
madness) I have seen their food prep and cooking standards as well as casta
diva and both do a great job in keeping the food safe and good.  I can even
remember when Casta diva at one point was using peanut oil and switched to a
vegetable oil because they realized that patrons might be allergic to
peanuts and the essence that was released into the air.  Other than the two
of them and the coffee house (which I hope we don't loose next) all of the
food vendors seem to be getting replaced by Cooper affilliates which
disturbs me greatly.  I don't mind the Cooper's and their affiliates making
money but I don't feel they should be able to monopolize the business' this
includes the Portersville Fire Department cafeteria which used to provide
great meals and the proceeds went to a good cause.

I miss the old way pennsic used to be.  I know that we bring them their
biggest amount of funding for the year but if they keep up this type of
behavior I fear they are going to be end of themselves and perhaps just as
we in society have checks and balances perhaps the coopers need to do the
same and have the Pennsic Autocrat and their deputies involved on some of
the decisions.

Just my two tuppence worth,
Daniela