[MR] Re: That is Merchant Business

Michael Houghton herveus at radix.net
Wed Aug 20 05:00:00 PDT 2003

Howdy!

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:25:17PM -0400, Robert Dawson, PA-C wrote:
> Achbar doth respond
>
> >    Why get involved with this?   That is between the merchants and the
> > Coopers.
>
> I suppose that's one view.
>
> It concerns me as a patron of those establishments (BTW, I just heard from
> my Lady wife that Casta Diva isn't coming back next year, either).  It

Hell, Crystal Dragon won't be back, either, if my spies are correct. She
liquidated the shop, sold the tent, and left it Friday night for the new owner
to take away.

There is a constant, small turnover in the set of merchants.

> concerns me as a friend of merchants who are troubled by what they percieve
> as heavy-handed actions by the merchant autocrat.  It concerns me as someone
> who is thinking about taking up SCA merchanting in the next year or so.  And
> I am always concerned when someone tells me they feel they can't speak up
> about an injustice for fear of reprisal.

Ah, but did an injustice occur? Or was the justice rendered delayed by
forbearance?

> As pennsic attendees we are customers of the Coopers and deserve the
> consideration any company owes its customers.  One of the 'services' I
> attend Pennsic for is access to merchants whose goods I value.  If a
> merchant I patronize is to barred I'd like (and expect) something more than
> a resounding silence from the autocrat, and second hand reports that the
> only reason is, "because I said so!"

On the other hand, having spoken directly with Cindy, I believe that she is
very mindful of providing a diverse marketplace that is not just clothes,
jewelry, and armor. She understands the value the market has to Pennsic.

> Further, I expect myself, my King, and my comrades, members of a fine
> organization that prides itself on honor and chivalry, not to stand silently
> by in the face of injustice.

Before getting one's dander up, one should carefuly discern whether an
injustice has occurred or not. One needs to examine more than the account
of the aggrieved party before leaping to conclusions.

> Now we're talking about 4 merchants out of several hundred, perhaps this was
> simply coincidence, perhaps all 4 merited barring from Pennsic.  Perhaps
> there was no injustice,  though at least in the case of Pillaged Village I
> think the punishment was far out of proportion to the crime--I don't know
> for sure about the others.  I think it's appropriate that this subject be
> discussed, and that this is an appropriate forum.  I hope to learn from
> those who might know that there were sound reasons for such drastic actions.

Two merchants this year (Phil's Grill and New World Arbalest); two last year
(Aquarian Arts and Pillaged Village). Information has been offered that
indicates how each was not unreasonable, protestations to the contrary not
withstanding.

I don't know that the actions were "drastic". That suggest that it was
disproportionate to the offense. The unanswered question is "was that the
first offense or the last of a string?" Cindy does not seem to get angry
very easily, but if you push her over that line, she will not be a doormat.
She's the boss and she knows it.

yours,
Herveus
--
Michael and MJ Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
herveus at radix.net         | White Wolf and the Phoenix