[MR] In Remembrance of Master Aldwin

baronalejandro at mindspring.com baronalejandro at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 13 07:52:58 PDT 2002

Please cross-post this so that it may reach all of Master Aldwin’s friends,
near and far. Let him be remembered despite the distances that separate us.

“Time heals all wounds” – Anonymous

Though a year has passed, so much changed and yet so much still remains the
same. Our nation still grieves for the terrorist attacks, and we grieve both
individually and as a group for Richard. Our grief has lessened somewhat
through the passage of time, but our wounds still remain tender when touched
by time or circumstance. Our grief will continue to dull with time but our
love for him and his life will never fade. The light that his life gave to all
of us will continue to shine as brightly as long as we remember his love; both
the love that we held for him and the love he gave to us. I know that my grief
for his death has gone by, but my love for him remains. This love, this life
of Richard’s disregards the distance that separates those of us who remember
him, for we all share common memories and love of him. This love will multiply
when we share it with each other. I think this is what he would have wanted.
Richard’s way of living was a testament for his love of life. The exuberance
and splendor that he demonstrated and practiced has had an effect on all of
us, an effect that will never be forgotten. Each of us has absorbed a small
part of Richard and we will never let it go. Through him, each of us has
learned to love life (and those who live it with us) a little more. That is
the greatest lesson that we can learn, and it is lesson that will benefit us
until each of us goes to meet him.
Today already we have seen messages of remembrance and support for each other
as our wounds are touched today by the anniversary of his passing. As a
community we bind our wounds with this support. These words echo those that
were written last year with the same poignancy, and for many it is just as
hard to write them or read them. Find a friend, a loved one, and share your
grief because sharing makes our grief lessen, and our love increase.
Please do remember to donate to the Literacy Council of Wake County, NC, and
your time and perhaps a pint of blood or two to the Red Cross.

And though a simple biography cannot do justice to such a finely lived life,
it is important sometimes to remember the details…..

“Richard Alan Myrick was born on June 30th, 1963 in Redondo Beach, California.
Soon after, he and his family relocated to here in Raleigh where Richard
attended high school. After that, however, he began to earn his other name of
“Longwalker” by attending Boise State University, where he majored in
political science. He went on to serve his country by enlisting in the Air
Force, with whom he was stationed at Fort Walton Beach, Florida, where he
discovered his flair for public performance with the Stage Crafters Community
Theater. After that, Richard was stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base in
Alaska. That, I am led to understand, was one of his less fun jobs. It was
about this time that Richard discovered the Society for Creative Anachronism,
a historical re-enactment group in which he remained active throughout his
life. He attained one of the Society’s highest honors by becoming a member of
the Order of the Pelican for his tireless efforts and aid. When Richard moved
back to Raleigh, he developed a great love of scuba diving, an art in which he
became accomplished. Continuing his varied interests, he also was active with
The Raleigh Ringers, where be became an excellent church tower bell ringer, as
well as being the Raleigh Ringer’s "favorite roadie.”

Rev. William L. Chisenhall (formerly Ham)
Revwilliam at mindspring.com