[MR] Salem Castle Knights / Raleigh Street Painting Festival

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 20 11:43:30 PDT 2002

What to do the day after Cattle Raids in Raleigh.
(Or if you're just tired of Bull.)

For any of you goobers that don't know Cary's super snooty town council
just approved all kinds of variances nobody else was allowed
about a week ago to get Salem Castle built on Highway 54 near
the new Soccer Complex that is just going in a couple of
miles west of the fairgrounds. No hotel (yet), but 120,000 feet
of shops, dinner theatre and jousting. (For some strange reason they are
looking to live off of the Soccer fans.  I hope they install showers.)
I hope Manchester United's fans don't come to town - they are worse
than the ECU football fans. Anyway...12 million dollars worth of stuff
in a three story box with towers.

Seems like some of you merchants should capitalize on this.
Silly hats for the touristas, etc.
Come to Raleigh fundamentalist and sober...Leave like Efenwealt.
Chaos in the unsuspecting hinterland.
The Empire of Efenwealtia finally comes to life -outside of the SCA-
in the eastern Bible Belt.

There are some new Shire-rives -already- in town pardners....
The Salem Kni-ghts will be there giving sword fighting demos.
Can we import the Tuchux for a showdown?
Will the Windmasters Dukes tolerate this?
Stayed tuned Pilgrims...

(Looks like they need some Windmasters fighters too.)

This weekend at the Raleigh Street Painting Festival at Historic
City Market (the usual Square Bums will no doubt be displaced for
the event) at the Corners of Person and Davie St / Moore Square.
This is where you do chalk paintings. This is just east of
the Raleigh Downtown area about three blocks.

Saturday
	10:30 am welcoming remarks / parfuming of park air.
		(and final shooing off of the bums no doubt.
		There's a keg eight blocks that-a-way. ====>)
	11:00 - 11:30 am Kni-ghts fight
	Noon-12:30pm Liz Simpers Band (acoustic pop music)
	Rose Verhoevene (country, bluegrass and folk music)
	1:30 -  2:00 pm Kni-ghts fight
	2:30 - 3:30 pm Billy Dechand Band
	4:00 -  4:30 pm Kni-ghts fight
	5:00 - 5:30 pm Pico vs. Island Trees (they don't explain)
		Sounds like a brewmaster finals.
	6:00 pm. Gary Palmer lecture/video/slide presentation.
	Location: Moore Square Museums Magnet Middle School.
	Gymnasium across the street from the entertainment stage
	(entrance on Martin St.).  Maybe this is when they try
	to sell you that time-share condominium downtown.
	However, Gary Palmer is supposed to be a Professional
	Street Painter.

Sunday  10:00 - 10:30 am Kni-ghts fight
	11:00 - 11:30 am Jonathan Byrd (cousin of Livingston Seagull?)
	11:30 - Noon Mike Garrigan (doesn't say what)
	12:30 - 1:00 pm Kni-ghts fight
	1:30 - 2:30 pm Shabda Shruti (international music)
	3:00 - 3:30 pm Kni-ghts fight
	4:00pm (after all the bodies are removed) Charles Meeker has
		the awards ceremony and closing remarks. Wow.

It would be so interesting for them to suddenly magically appear in
the middle of the field battle at Pennsic. Like the Mystic Knights
of Tara (TM). ;)

Looks like a lot of competition from various artists and school
children.

Since this is the fourth one - Maybe, just maybe, we could do a demo
next year.  Maybe they wouldn't charge us if we shooed off the bums
first next year.

There is a small picture of two of the Salem Knights.
Honestly the guy on the left looks like early twenties.
The girl with long hair on the right looks like a mid-teenager.
Chain mail coif for him. Norman nasal helm for her.
White tabards over black leotards?
Tandy style Scout fringed brown suede boots on both.
A brown sporran-looking thing hanging off an over sized belt on
her and an obigatory, trip you up, sword scabbard.
No visible heraldry on either. No shields either.
Both are handling short double handed metal swords.

Someone could make some money dressing these guys up.
Really.  I'd like Raleigh to get a medieval dinner theater
just for the fun of it. It couldn't hurt us at all.
Since they are supposed to have jousting at the Castle
some of you equestrians could maybe have some fun working
for them. If they are going to succeed it will need to
look better than this. I realize this is only an initial
offering by them. Somewhere in the coming months there
could be a middle ground some of you could capitalize on.

Like silly pointy Saxon hats for everyone.
A shop selling Scadian crafts on commission.
Musical performances and story telling by our artisans.
Efenwealt could work nights too for honest money (shhh...don't tell
Aenor).
GiGi could finally get off the Chapel Hill late night street corners.
Then again GiGi makes a great serving wench and lap dancer -
those shocked and confused looks are priceless,
and so are the photos later.

http://www.visualartexchange.org/
828-7834 or visartx at aol.com for the 2003 one.

Magnus