[MR] newcomers

karina karina_glm at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 09:44:08 PDT 2002

Perhaps this gentle had the unfortunate luck to find
people who are either new to the SCA themselves,
perhaps shy and maybe not good at the art of
conversation?  I'm not taking up for all of Atlantia,
but there are those of us out there who aren't, shall
we say, skilled in those arts.

All some of us can manage with people we don't know
are a few sentences (perhaps a minute or two) then the
silence drifts in and we all start to feel
uncomfortable so they make for the quickest exit they
can find.  It's not that they think the person has the
plague or isn't witty or funny, they just don't know
what to say.

Speaking for myself, I can talk about the SCA to
non-SCA people I know for hours.  Take me to an event,
and let me see someone who is better dressed than I
am, or who SEEMS to know more than I do and I clam up
fast.  Any thought at conversation goes out the
window.  I don't want to give misinformation or be
seen as a know-it-all.  Both are bad where I come
from.

I tend to bring my inkle loom to events or I sit at
the heraldic consult table, but I don't really spend a
lot of time talking to anyone, friend or
not-yet-friend.

I guess my point is this, just because someone doesn't
speak to you for what you consider to be a good
conversation length, or they don't walk up to you and
introduce themselves, they may not be ignoring you, or
trying to be rude, perhaps they have another reason.

Lady Rhiannon of Berra
shy and quiet at times