[MR] New University class on bone needles

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 27 10:08:09 PDT 2002

University Chancellor wrote:

> Good Gentles,
>
> Master Magnus Malleus is going to teach a class on carving a bone needle at
> University next week at 1:30. Please check out the other additions and
> cancellations at http://university.atlantia.sca.org

These would be reasonably sized sewing needles. Not the naalbinding
sized ones. Because of their size I make them out of turkey leg bones,
which are a bit similar to making a bow out of yew wood. That bone
actually has a tough fibrous outer layer similar to the yew's sapwood
and
a hard inner layer similar to heartwood that takes a sharp point.
Thus you get something fairly tough that will pass through 3-4
layers of fabric or wool and still have the hole close up behind it.
High count linen is a bit harder but generally works.
(Chicken bones will not work for this at all if you were wondering.)

At least one Atlantian Lady has sewn a complete dress with one.

I will bring all materials. If you are dressed really fancy that day
you might bring an apron or lap cloth. I experimented with a large
variety of tools and techniques and have hit on some that work very
well with reasonably inexpensive tools. You'd never get rich making
them but you might find it satisfying to make something to share.
Each takes from twenty to thirty minutes to make once you know what you
are doing and get a bit of practice.

I will also bring some animorphic spoons and dress pins carved out of
cattle leg bone for you to examine made (after bandsaw roughout) totally
with
hand tools. These would be after those from the Anglo-Saxon/Viking Age
period. Those are considerably more difficult and by hand take much
longer.

Magnus