[MR] There's a new kid in town

Brillhart, Steve steve.brillhart at itt.com
Wed Sep 4 13:23:13 PDT 2002

Message: 5
From: "Lisa and Ken Theriot" <lnktheriot at cox.net>
To: <atlantia at atlantia.sca.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:06:17 -0400
Subject: [MR] There's a new kid in town

<clipped>
  Since it may not occur to a new person to say to the
harried troll worker, "This is my first event; is there someone I should
speak to?", perhaps it might be enough to have a sign at troll that
says, "Please tell us if you are new to the SCA or our kingdom" (and of
course be sure that troll has been instructed to whom they are to send
the new people).
<<<<

I just had to say that we did this at Assessment Battles (warn troll to be
on the lookout - but no sign).  We had a family show up from Trimaris on
vacation at Smith Mountain Lake.  Saw the signs and figured they would stop
by.  We also had another family stop by that had heard about the SCA, but
had never been.

Troll put them all in garb (loaner stuff was all at Troll just in case) and
radioed back to the staff in the field to make sure someone took them around
a little bit and made them somewhat familiar with what was happening.  It
got them all a good start.

I later noticed that we had a couple that got "missed" just like "newbie"
had said.  Hopefully we remedied that later in the day.

Having Troll be a start-point and keeping a "runner" there to get visitors
started on the path to meeting people is a GREAT idea, and makes for a good
first impression. Both sets of our visitors were very appreciative.

Angus Farquhar
Seneschal, Black Diamond

mka Steve Brillhart
sbrillhart at bigfoot.com

If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the
delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that this message may
contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone.  You should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Information contained in this
message that does not relate to the business of ITT is neither endorsed by
nor attributable to ITT.