[MR] Bright Hills Baronial Birthday - event flyer

Raymond F talbotgollum at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:28:54 PST 2001

Denizens of Atlantia, here is the event flyer for Bright Hills Baronial
Birthday on February 9th.  This will be published in the Acorn (natch) and
our local newsletter (the Yeoman) as well, and possibly e-mail reflectors of
other local groups as well.  If there are any questions, please contact the
Autocrat (me).

In service, Talbot
Seneschal, Barony of Bright Hills

February 9th - Bright Hills Baronial Birthday
Barony of Bright Hills, Westminster, MD

	The weather outside might be cold and snowy, but it is always a sunny day
in Florence.  At least, it will be sunny in the Florence we have created for
you here in our fair Barony of Bright Hills.  The hills will be bright
indeed, as we invite all of you to celebrate our Birthday with us on
February 9th.  The air will be warm, the scenery will be lovely, and the
citizens will be friendly, in keeping with our reputation of welcome and
good cheer.  All shall be guests at the Medici palace.  Still, even the
power of the Medici and their associates pale in comparison to that of our
Baron.  Could it be that Niccolo Machiavelli himself has been whispering his
ideas of how to govern principalities in our dread Baron’s ear?  Come join
us and find out once and for all whether it is better to be loved, or
feared.
	Activities:   Florence, home of great artists and leading scientists,
treasures the contributions of all its citizens.  In keeping with the dual
themes of our Birthday and Florence, we shall be holding two A&S
competitions.  There shall be one for the best representation of the
Baronial arms (the crescent moon and three peaks)  in a piece of art or
craftwork.  Anything on which the Baronial arms have been depicted can and
should be entered.   There will also be a competition for the best dressed
Florentine, male and female.  We shall see who causes the nobles to
jealously mutter amongst themselves!  Classes will be held for the
edification of all interested.  We shall have activities for the children as
well.  For those who enjoy the sedentary pursuits during this chilly season,
there will be games and good company  for all.  We may even throw off the
shivers with a little dancing; what better way to show off our splendid
finery to all assembled?
	Feast:   Our renowned Cooks Guild shall be preparing a delectable feast for
100 gentles.  Limited off-board seating will be available, with directions
to nearby restaurants made available.  There will also be lunch for all
attending.  Those with dietary concerns should contact the Head Cook
(Brianna, birdstm at iname.com), or they may contact the Autocrat.
	Site:   The site will be the Carroll County Agriculture Center in
Westminster, Maryland  21157.  The site opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 10
p.m.  Those who show up before this time will be recruited to help spruce up
the palace before the Medici arrive.  The site is discretely wet; no
original containers please.  Pets are allowed.  Please send all
reservations, including SCA and modern names of all attending, and ages of
children, to the Autocrat.  Make checks payable to “Barony of Bright
Hills/S.C.A. Inc.”.
	Merchants:  In this bustling city, the value of merchants is recognized and
those selling wares are most welcome.  However, space is limited within
these city walls, so please contact the Autocrat for details.
	Cost:   The price for on-board adult Florentines shall be $14, and
off-board price is $8.  For Florentine children ages 5-12, the on-board
price is $8 and the off-board price is $4.  Those littlest of Florentines
under age 5 are guests of our Barony.
	Autocrat:   Lord Talbot Beman (Raymond Fernalld), 3909 Lakehouse Road #37,
Beltsville, Maryland  20705; phone (301) 572-7609; e-mail
talbotgollum at hotmail.com

	Directions:
	From the South:  Take your best route to the Baltimore Beltway, I-695;
follow this to the northwest corner and get on I-795.  Take I-795 to its end
and merge with Rt. 140 North.  Follow Rt. 140 to Westminster.  In
Westminster, turn left at Center St.; the Town Mall/Cranberry Square
Shopping Center main entrance will be on the right at this intersection; the
striped poles there are a landmark.
**Take Center St. past a stop sign, through two traffic lights, around the
curve past the hospital.  Just past the hospital, Center St intersects with
Gist Rd.; turn right here.  Go to the next intersection and turn right; this
is Smith Ave.  Follow this to the end; the Agriculture Center (700
Agriculture Center Drive) will be at the end, on the right.  The event is
being held in Alesha and Burns Halls.  There is plenty of parking in front
of the building.
	From the North:  Take your best route to the city of Westminster in Carroll
County, MD.  This can be via Route 140 directly, or Route 27 to Route 140,
or Route 97 to Route 140, depending on your location; call the Autocrat if
you need help with directions.  Take 140 Southeast to the intersection of
140 and Center St, and turn right.  The Town Mall/Cranberry Square Shopping
Center main entrance will be on your left at this intersection; look for the
striped poles.  Continue from ** above.