[MR] Very Nasty Virus Alert (Goner)

Rupert Gaddy rgaddy at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 4 13:18:54 PST 2001

I never post virus warnings, but our IT folks are really upset by this one
called GONER, because among other things it destroys your virus protection
system files on your computer as well as terminally damaging the Windows OS,
maybe even loosing all your data on the PC.

Once you are infected it grabs your mail program and mails itself to
everyone on your address book (in my case including this group).

Watch out for this one, it also spreads by IRC

It seems to always have a ".scr" extension, so if you get anything with that
extension I suggest you NOT open it but delete it ASAP

Details at this link:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.goner.a@mm.html

Like I said, I NEVER post virus warnings but this one has already infected
the college system and caused chaos!

Rupert the Persistent