[MR] Making a sword

Gregory G. Stapleton gregsta at carolina.rr.com
Fri Dec 14 20:39:25 PST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: atlantia-admin at atlantia.sca.org
[mailto:atlantia-admin at atlantia.sca.org] On Behalf Of rmhowe
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 2:33 PM
To: - Atlantia; - Stephan's Florilegium; - Regia Anglorum - North
America
Subject: [MR] Making a sword

Melanie Wilson wrote:
> As the greatest keeper of booklists I know ;) have you a list of
> how to books etc on Dark Age swords at all ? - Mel

I bow to the great Master Magnus, Bibliophile, whose shadow I most
humbly and respectfully stand in...  If I may be so bold as to add one
other book to this incredible list:

	_The Celtic Sword_, Radomir Pleiner with contributions by B. G.
Scott.  Clarendon Press, Oxford. 1993.  ISBN 0-19-813411-8

Contents: 1) The Origin of the Celtic Long Sword in Early Europe, 2)
Styles of Combat Among the Celts, 3) Notes on the Archaeology of the
Celtic Sword, 4) The Characteristics of the Celtic Sword, 5) How the
Long Sword was Made, 6) Metallographic Examinations of Swords From
Czechoslovakia, 7) Metallographic Examinations of Other La Tene Period
Swords From Europe and the British Isles 8) Techniques of Sword
Manufacture, 9) Battleworthiness

I hope this information isn't too early period for you.  It's a great
book.

Your Humble Servant and Magnus-Wannabe, :)

Gawain Kilgore / Gregory Stapleton