[Archers] YouTube: Period Arrow-making Class

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 03:46:51 PDT 2024

Noble Friends,

Here is another link from my web treasure vault I collected long ago, a
YouTube video on making period arrows by Hector Cole and Richard Head, two
of England's top historical archery experts. The film is a promotional
piece for their in-person course, so is not detailed, but shows forging
arrow piles (points), hand-milling shafts, and whipped fletching.

https://youtu.be/hno0cESeQPc

I have built a number of similar full-sized medieval war arrows (some of
which are still being shot by Master Colum Maxwell). My last group used
techniques remarkably similar to those in the film, though I
purchased hand-forged points. I rated my arrows as 85% authentic after
switching to modern glues when the hide glue I made failed almost
immediately. I was really surprised to see how close I came to Richard
Head's methods.

The last four arrows in the series were retained for display and
instructional purposes. The arrows were the catalyst for me becoming an SCA
all-period longbow archer some ten years ago.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.