[Archers] BBC: Royal Company Archers in QE II Funeral Ceremonies

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:21:06 PDT 2022

Noble Friends of the Bow,

O.K.; they're not SCA period, but they are archers. The Royal Company of
Archers are the British monarch's ceremonial bodyguard while the King or
Queen is in Scotland.  If you observed the funeral procession to St. Giles
Cathedral in Edinburgh, you might have noticed that there were six or so
archers on each side of the hears marching in the super-dark green uniforms
carrying their bows. It wasn't as easy to see, but the entire company of
Royal Archers were in ranks outside St. Giles as the casket was unloaded.
Four Archers also alternated with King Charles and His siblings in the
Vigil of the Princes ceremony inside the cathedral.

I had planned to post a link to a video or still photo that showed the
Royal Company of Archers, but each time I went the BBC film clips changed.
Lady Sarah just found this brief clip of the vigil in London. Two of the
Royal Archers are standing guard: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-62921909 .
They are Defense Secretary Ben Wallace and Scottish Secretary Alister Jack,
joining members of the Household Division and the Yeoman Warders of the
Tower (the Beefeaters). You can see the Archers' uniforms, bows and the
traditional three arrows in their belts.

More about the Royal Company of Archers is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Company_of_Archers .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆