[Archers] Period Arrow Instructions

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 02:59:33 PST 2021

Noble Friends of the Bow,

My proposed period arrow class for next week's University of Atlantia
didn't come off (for some reason I did not receive the usual call for class
proposals, or overlooked it, and so missed the deadline). Hopefully the
class will be available at the June University, that is once I figure out
how to properly run the slides in a Zoom show.

In the meantime, if any of you are interested in building your own
period-style arrows, the downloadable electronic class handout has been
posted in the Shire of Isenfir's Arts & Sciences pages:
http://isenfir.atlantia.sca.org/artsandsciences/files/BUILDING%20PERIOD-STYLE%20ARROWS.pdf
.

If you are a period archer, you will note several references in my text to
the "new" period target archery rules (they're really about two years old
now, and were appended to the Society's target archery handbook on the
SCA's general web site). As far as arrows go, the new period rules ban
plastic nocks of all kinds (even Vermil's period-style plastic nocks) in
favor of self-nocks or applied nocks from natural materials. The other
three rules for period arrows are already incorporated into Atlantia's
general arrow rules (wood/cane/bamboo shafts, fletches from feathers or
other period materials, and a ban on "broadhead" points of all types).

Even if you are not a period archer, you may get some ideas for
"tarting up" your target arrows with interesting points, or maybe whipped
fletches. My methods are fun and can be mastered by anyone who already
knows how to build arrows. If anyone needs clarification of my methods, I
am always available by email.

Building a new and personalized set of arrows now during our enforced
lockdown in this plague year is a perfect project to keep up our interest.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge  🦆