[Archers] Ullr's Revenge Known World Archery Shoot: at Pennsic this year

Tracey Mahon treya.minteanga at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 7 13:23:36 PST 2020

Greetings,
As you all know for the last ten years, Atlantia has run the St. Sebastian’s Shoot on the middle Saturday at Penssic.  It was awesome!
It was also a very labor intensive effort for the Atlantia archery community. After ten years when it was announced that St. Sebastian’s was definitely ending, it made me very sad. Everyone had worked so very hard over all these years to generate such a premier archery shoot for all levels of archers I just didn’t want to let all that hard work and good will you put into it go. But it would just not work to put all the work on Atlantian archers. So Miles de Locwode and I came up with an idea to keep the spirit of St. Sebastian’s shoot going but spread the load out by getting volunteers from all across the Known World to participate more than they have in the past.  We informally discussed the shoot with many people at Pennsic last year and it was generally agreed that the archers across the Known world really do want this type of shoot to continue.
So here are the basics of this year’s shoot: newly named Ullr’s Revenge
·         The shoot is called Ullr’s Revenge after the Norse God of the Hunt, Archery, etc.   The theme for the first of what we hope will be many is:  Fire and Ice.  It will be a ten station shoot.  We are asking for volunteers from across the Known World to provide one of those ten stations.  We have had very strong interest from at least four kingdoms so far.  Our ultimate goal would be to have one target station from ten different kingdoms but we will take up to three targets from one kingdom.  We want Kingdoms to have the ability to show off their target making prowess. We will be giving a prize to the best target as determined by the populace. (Prizes also for each RR rank, plus a couple for the highest two ranks using crossbow, and a youth).·         We are also asking for individual volunteers to assist in the following area:o   Marshals to pull a two hour shift (total of at least 9)o   Score keepers (6+)·         The most important part of our vision, we are calling “bring your own marshal (BYOM)”.  We will ask the populace to form into groups of up to 8 people.  This group must include at least one warranted marshal.  The marshal(s) will stay with the group for the entire shoot and will be allowed to shoot with their groups.  This allows almost everyone to enjoy the shoot, keeps the staffing requirements to the lowest possible number while still ensuring a safe shoot.  We encourage all marshals to participate so everyone can enjoy a great day of archery.
We want the clear that there is no special commitment placed on Atlantian marshals, just because some of us are running the event, except that you all come out and enjoy the shoot.
We really hope the design of the shoot shares more of the marshaling load across many kingdoms. We are talking up the BYOM bring your own marshal format whenever we can here and within the other kingdoms. Volunteers are ALWAYS welcome of course. OF COURSE! (Please contact Miles or Treya)
There will be some archers who will likely need a marshal so if you can fit them into your group please do. And please consider bringing a new group through it all again after you’ve shot. We know that might be a long shot since Atlantia archers are NOT (tongue in cheek) known for shooting, playing, and teaching out on the range all day. It’s just such a chore!
We also ask that you help us publicize the shoot to the populace and other warranted marshals.  We have sent out the basic information on the shoot to all of the Kingdoms’ leads for target archery.  I have included that document here as well.  If you can post that email to any populace email lists so the word gets spread far and wide, that would help tremendously.
Thank you all. We look forward to enjoying some wonderful archery together soon!
Yours in Service,Treya Min TeangaMiles de LocWode
Contact us at:Milesdelocwode at verizon.net Treya.minteanga at yahoo.com