[Archers] Possible Rules Change on Period Nocks

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 04:26:36 PDT 2019

Noble Friends of the Bow,

After a number of blocked/lost emails (a curse upon Embarq's server!), I
finally had contact with the Society DEM for Target Archery about the
Vermil and other period nocks that we discussed here last year.

For those of you who might not remember the discussion, glue-on nocks of
all types are forbidden by the Society's period target archery rules, while
plug nocks of any material for bamboo or cane shafts are allowed. After the
rules went into effect, Vermil released their period Asian-style nocks with
both glue-on and plug mounts. Although visually identical and made from the
same high-impact acrylic plastic, the glue-on nocks are forbidden while the
plug nocks are legal. It has been my hope that the rules could be changed
to legalize the Vermil glue-on nocks, as they are much safer than
self-nocks. In addition, glue on hardwood nocks similar to the nock in the
famous circa 1462 picture of Antoine, Bastard of Burgundy, holding an arrow
have been offered by a major U.S. vendor. Other period-style glue-on nocks
might someday be available.

While Baron Harbinger doesn't have an answer at the moment, he is now aware
of the problem:

*Greetings,*

*      I am setting up a discussion group for the Kingdom DEMs to discuss
this and other rule changes. When the discussions have come to a close, the
results will become known to all.*

*Regards*

*Baron Edward Harbinger*

*SDEM Target Archery and Thrown Weapons*

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆