[Archers] Atlatl

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:38:07 PST 2018

Noble Friends,

I have been making a 4' darts (sized to go in my Honda). They are 1/2"
poplar dowels from Lowes, carefully selected from the few straight pieces
in each box. The points I have used so far are hand-forged 1/2" medieval
points from The Longbow Shop in England:
https://www.thelongbowshop.com/collections/arrow-points/products/1-2-bodkin-arrow-point?variant=27634567177
. They average 385 grains. Sadly, these are out of stock right now. Jason
gets them in only once or twice a year.

I have also purchased their Tudor Bodkin points (aka "duckbill"). These
weight 260 grains. I haven't tried these on darts yet, and think they might
be too light. They go on A&S project arrows:
https://www.thelongbowshop.com/collections/arrow-points/products/war-bodkin-arrow-point?variant=27633738569
. Sadly, these are also out of stock right now.

I like Janyn's idea of drilling out the shaft and inserting a weight. This
is similar how the aluminum field repair points made by TopHat are
weighted. They have little brass disks inside.

I too am a poor thrower, and have yet to hit a target in the backyard,
though I did fling one over the fence into the woods.
Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆