[Archers] Ideas for future WoWs and some issues that need to be addressed.

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:20:36 PDT 2017

Mistress Lorelei,

I would be happy to discuss this with any and all, though I think all
our postings should be on, or cc to, the Atlantian Archery discussion
board. Sadly, I still cannot receive posts from that board (though I can
still post there), and so far the kingdom web officials have not
responded to my requests for help. [Hint, hint!]

I agree completely about needing more marshals. But where were they? Our
turnout for experienced archers/marshals was very light. Most of those
pitched in at least a little, and some a lot. Some of us (Lady Sarah
especially) were trapped on the range and couldn't leave without walking
out on guests that needed inspections or supervision. Could it be that
WoW is no longer of interest to the general archery community? Is it
that we don't have enough targets/enough variety/enough jazzy shoots to
attract many of our serious archers. Or is it that the short field we
have been given almost every year discourages the senior archers from
attending. I really would like to hear from any archers who didn't
attend because they thought it wasn't worth the trip--not to argue with
them, but to learn whether or why WoW has turned them off and how we can
fix it. Since this post is also going to the archery board, please help
us by responding.

My main gripe is that once again we were assigned a range space that was
too short for a legal safety zone.That track to the barn was within our
safety zone and screened by trees. Yes, there were people walking along
it. I was extremely frustrated with the short field this year, and even
expressed the idea of not coming next year to Lady Sarah (I've since
mellowed a bit on this point).

Maybe the WoW management doesn't realize the liability implications if
someone is injured by an arrow that goes into those woods. If a range is
not legal, then our insurance carrier would be within their rights to
refuse any claims. Not just archers, but many officers of the event, and
all the kingdom officers from TRMs on down who have any supervisory
responsibility over archery will be in court if someone gets hurt and
lawyers get their teeth into us. It is time we archers put our
collective feet down and demand that the kingdom and event managers
realize the gravity of shoehorning us into illegal range spaces. And I'm
not just talking about WoW. The situation at Ruby Joust is even worse,
as there are homes with children just beyond those narrow woods on two
sides of that property. This sounds like a good topic for Unevent, but
we probably would only be preaching to the choir.

We needed more netting, especially behind the youth range area. Most of
the arrows that went into the tall grass there were never found (metal
detector not withstanding), and I probably lost as many arrows as you
did (all the Isenfir youngsters and a couple of the adults had shire or
my personal loaner gear). It would have been nice if the grass on the
rest of the field could have been mowed shorter, as a lot of arrows
apparently weren't recovered from the adult range, or they turned up
several days later.

As for expenses, I considered saving our receipts, but didn't. We would
have blown your whole budget just on the night shoot, and some of our
stuff can be used again at another event. I consider what we spent to be
our contribution to archery and don't regret it at all.

I hope that arrangements for the next WoW can be announced early enough,
and an archery marshal chosen promptly. Whoever takes on this job should
get plenty of input from those of us that have worked this event, and
hopefully get it early enough to make a difference in the negotiations
for space and other resources.

By the way, I really only have myself to blame, but the damage to my car
from wandering off the so-called road into that ditch on the way to the
archery range will be $1000 plus. The radiator wasn't punctured, but its
support was badly bent and the radiator is just 1/4" from the AC
generator. This certainly puts a damper on wanting to bring targets and
other bulky stuff down next year.

Yours Aye,

Mungo