[Archers] Ideas for future WoWs and some issues that need to be addressed.

john atkins houseofgrey at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 13:39:24 PDT 2017

 Start a FB group and post your current "How to run archery at WoW" document there. That way we can all read it and not have to endure restating what has already been stated.
My number one issue with the range set the way it was this year is that it did not conform to Atlantian safety distances. There were some times when people were doing stuff just across the lake at the back of the range and within a 100 yard distance of the last target.
Also with the "Pet a goat" thingie for the kiddies we were just lucky!! I made it a point to check if the road, old way of getting to the range, was blocked off and it was, i.e. chain/rope and sign. But if it is advertised that kiddies can pet a goat at 4 human nature tells me that people will start going down that road possibly as early as 2;30. That would mean the range has to shut down for safety sake.
All in all the location of the range has been used before even though not shooting in the direction we did this year. If the area to the left of this year's range were cleared out we could simply orient the range to shoot that direction and not have to worry about folks in the farm house yard or going down the old road.
As for access to the range, Axel said it best as he trudged back from the battle field, "This is getting like Pennsic". There isn't much we can do about that but the point of the "bridge" over the drain ditch did prevent any mobility challenged folks from going to the range.
I do believe more signage out in the camping area directing how to get to the range is a great idea. Some were cutting through the cut in the tree line then going left to the bridge. In so doing, I did it several times myself, we did not know we were actually cutting through a group's camp!
One thing I have always liked about WoW archery versus Pennsic or Gulf Wars is that the targets are different. Pennsic and Gulf Wars are slot, advancing/retreating warrior, clout and not a whole lot more. THANK GOODNESS for the St. Sebastian!!! The ability to swap out targets quickly I personally believe is mandatory at an event like this (I try very hard to do that at all events I MIC). And to that end, that clear packing tape is NOT suitable! One arrow hit and it snaps. Fiberglass strapping tape is much better.
Yeah well, it's cog and he is an..............well you can fill in the blank there. But let's also include opinionated. But all said and done, another GREAT job this year!