[Archers] Period Archery Event Classes Still Needed

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Thu May 12 01:36:45 PDT 2016

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Some really great people have stepped up to offer classes for Isenfir's
Period Archery Event on 24 September. On the range Lord Godai will offer
a hands-on Yumi bow class, and Lord Naran will do a hands-on thumb ring
class. For the sit-down classes we have traditional arrow-making and
string making classes by Sir Tnek, and Lord Eirik plans a class on
bamboo/cane arrows. I have a general shooting theory class by Lord Godai
in reserve.

Sadly, we still don't have enough classes to fill out the day, and if we
don't have a full slate by Ruby Joust, our hosts will cancel the event.

I'm looking for a hands-on crossbow technique class. An instructor would
need to bring several crossbows and bolt sets (I can offer three sets of
bolts and my light combat crossbow).

We would still need one more hands-on range class. Atlatls would work,
or maybe somebody has something else they could offer.

For sit-down classes, we absolutely need one more, but two classes would
be great. I would like to see a class on period arm guards and finger
tabs, perhaps with templates provided to the students. Another
possibility is making period targets (using modern materials is o.k.),
and their adaptation to our SCA needs (multiple arrow ends rather than
single-arrow competitions), perhaps suggesting various games and
scenarios. Any other ideas would be welcome, though please keep in mind
the theme is period archery, and the emphasis is on practical classes
rather than pure history (I would still take a good history class in a
pinch though).

Below is the draft of the event web site for your reference. Please note
that no reservations are being taken yet.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Autocrat & Class Coordinator

*ISENFIR PERIOD ARCHERY COLLEGIUM*

*24 September, 2016*

*Shire of Isenfir*

Join the Shire of Isenfir for a one-day session of classes and range
time devoted to period archery using English-style longbows, Mongolian
horse bows, Japanese yumi bows, Native American flatbows, crossbows,
etc. Here is a chance to learn more about period archery in its many
forms, and how we can “up our game” as re-enactment archers. If you’ve
ever thought of switching to period archery, here is a chance to “test
the water” and see if the change is right for you, or just come for a
great day shooting with friends.

*MARTIAL ACTIVITIES: *Just target archery: shooting with period-style
equipment at period-type targets. Range time will include both
instructional classes, and general shooting. Archers with modern
SCA-compliant hand bows are also welcome. Some period loaner bows will
be available for testing. Please bring your own arrows/bolts and leathers.

*CLASSES:* Proposed classes include building period-style arrows for SCA
sport-weight bows, building period targets, thumb ring shooting, yumi
bow shooting, or other classes TBA. The emphasis will be on period-style
shooting or making period gear and its use, rather than pure history. A
total of eight or nine classes will be offered.

*COSTS:* This is the Shire of Isenfir’s gift to the kingdom--no site
fee, however Blue Cards or waivers at troll will be required. Advance
reservations for the lunch and feast will be required so our chief cook
will know how much food to buy.

*SITE:* Oakhaven Farm, 1850 Browns Gap Turnpike, Charlottesville, VA
22901 (434) 823-2336. Site restrictions: This is a dry site from sunrise
Saturday until the feast (remember, we’re shooting). Oakhaven is a
working farm, so no pets please. Our hosts’ home is off-limits, except
for the toilets and showers in the basement and the barn. We cannot
accommodate young children and there will be no child care or alternate
activities for them. Older youngsters who are serious about archery and
will participate in the classes and range time are certainly welcome.

*FEAST INFORMATION:* Food will be provided by the Shire of Isenfir as a
fund-raiser: Day-board lunch, $5; evening feast, $8. Saturday and Sunday
breakfasts $3. Vegetarian alternatives are planned. Please contact Lady
Clare Garland for any other special dietary needs. You are also welcome
to bring your own food or go off site (Crozet is about four miles away).
Remember, meals must be reserved in advance.

*CAMPING:* Limited tent camping will be available at no charge. Toilets
and showers will be available (please bring your own soap and towels). A
fire pit will be provided. Camping space MUST be requested in advance
from Lady Nicolosa d'Isenfir.

*FOOD AND CAMPING RESERVATIONS:* Lady Nicolosa d'Isenfir (aka Kendra
Schmid, knschmid AT gmail.com )

*CLASS PROPOSALS:* Lord Mungo Napier (aka Garth Groff, sarahsan AT
embarqmail.com)

*EVENT STAFF:*

Autocrat and Class Coordinator: Lord Mungo Napier (aka Garth Groff,
sarahsan AT embarqmail.com)

Deputy Autocrat Lord Bryan Morgan (aka David Oxford, david AT Oakhaven.org)

Event Marshal-in-Charge: Lady Sarah Sinclair (aka Sally Sanford,
sarahsan AT embarqmail.com)

Chief Cook/Site Manager: Lady Clare Garland (aka Karen Oxford: karen AT
Oakhaven.org)

*DIRECTIONS:* David and Karen Oxford,1850 Browns Gap Turnpike,
Charlottesville, VA. /From Charlottesville: /Easiest route is to follow
250 W towards Crozet and make a right onto Browns Gap Turnpike. This
will be a three way intersection between 250W as it turns left, 240W as
it goes straight into Crozet, and Browns Gap Turnpike is a sharp right
by the ruined building. Follow the road past Beaver Creek Park and we
are about a mile beyond the park on the left just past the power
substation. SCA directional signs will be posted. If you get lost, call
(434) 823-2336.