[Archers] Crossbow Shooting Rates

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Fri Aug 26 02:56:07 PDT 2016

M'Lord Ivan and Noble Friends of the Bow,

To my surprise, I just discovered that today is the anniversary of the
Battle of Crécy. A Wikipedia article has the following to say about
crossbow shooting rates (remember this is the mid-1300s):

"The Battle of Crécy is often exemplified as a battle in which the
longbow defeated the rival crossbow. The crossbow had become the
dominant ranged infantry weapon on the continental European battlefield:
the choice weapon for expert mercenary companies. The crossbow was
favoured as it required less physical strength to load and shoot than a
longbow, and could release more kinetic energy than its rival, making it
deadlier at close range. They were, however, hampered by slower, more
difficult loading, their cumbersome shape and their range, in which the
longbow had the advantage. Later developments in more powerful crossbows
in the 15th century, such as the windlass-span crossbow, negated these
advantages, while advances in bow technology brought to Europe from
armies on crusade introduced composite technology; decreasing the size
of the crossbow while increasing its power. A common claim about the
crossbow is a reload time of one bolt every 1–2 minutes. A test
conducted by Mike Loades for Weapons That Changed Britain - The Longbow
found that a belt-and-claw span crossbow could discharge 4 bolts in 30
seconds, while a longbow could shoot 9.[12] A second speed test
conducted using a hand-span crossbow found that the weapon could shoot 6
bolts in the same time it took for a longbow to shoot 10." [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crécy ] Quoted from The Longbow
Vs The Crossbow Speed Test - Video 17. 11 April 2009 – via YouTube.

I don't always agree with Mike Loades, but I respect that he puts many
of these old chestnuts to scientific testing. He is also an expert
archer himself.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot