[Archers] Isenfir Period Archery Collegium Plans

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:52:10 PDT 2015

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Below is our proposal for the September 2016 Isenfir Period Archery
Collegium. Details are subject to change, of course. Reservations will
open and a call for instructors will be made around June 1.

Your comments and input will be appreciated.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Naper, IPAC Autocrat

*ISENFIR PERIOD ARCHERY COLLEGIUM*

*24 September, 2016*

*Shire of Isenfir*

Join the Shire of Isenfir for a one-day session of classes and range
time devoted to period archery using English-style longbows, Mongolian
horse bows, Japanese yumi bows, Native American flatbows, crossbows,
etc. Here is a chance to learn more about period archery in its many
forms, and how we can “up our game” as re-enactment archers. If you’ve
ever thought of switching to period archery, here is a chance to “test
the water” and see if the change is right for you, or just come for a
great day shooting with friends.

*MARTIAL ACTIVITIES: *Just target archery! Shooting with period-style
equipment at period-type targets. Range time will include both
instructional classes, and general shooting. Archers with modern
SCA-compliant hand bows are also welcome. Some period loaner bows will
be available for testing. Please bring your own arrows and leathers.

*CLASSES:* Proposed classes include building period-style arrows for SCA
sport-weight bows, building period targets, thumb ring shooting, yumi
bow shooting, and other classes TBA. The emphasis will be on
period-style shooting or making period gear and its use, rather than
pure history. A total of six classes will be offered. A call for
instructors and class proposals will be made in the early summer of 2016.

*COSTS:* This is the Shire of Isenfir’s gift to the kingdom--no site
fee, however Blue Cards or waivers at troll will be required. Advance
reservations for the lunch and feast will be required so our chief cook
will know how much food to buy.

*SITE:* Oakhaven Farm, 1850 Browns Gap Turnpike, Charlottesville, VA
22901 (434) 823-2336. Site restrictions: This is a dry site from sunrise
Saturday until the feast (remember, we’re shooting). Oakhaven is a
working farm, so no pets please. Our hosts’ home is off-limits, except
for the toilets and showers in the basement and the barn.

*FEAST INFORMATION:* Food will be provided by the Shire of Isenfir as a
fund-raiser: Day-board lunch, $5; evening feast, $9. Saturday and Sunday
breakfasts will be priced by the item. Vegetarian alternatives are
planned. Please contact Lady Clare Garland for any other special dietary
needs. You are also welcome to bring your own food or go off site
(Crozet is about four miles away).

*CAMPING:* Limited tent camping will be available at no charge. Toilets
and showers will be available (please bring your own towels). A fire pit
will be provided. Camping space MUST be requested in advance from Lady
Clare Garland.

*FOOD AND CAMPING RESERVATIONS:* Lady Clare Garland (Karen Oxford: karen
AT Oakhaven.org)

*CLASS PROPOSALS:* Lord Mungo Napier (aka Garth Groff, sarahsan AT
embarqmail.com)

*EVENT STAFF:*

Autocrat: Lord Mungo Napier (aka Garth Groff, sarahsan AT embarqmail.com)

Deputy Autocrat Lord Bryan Morgan (David Oxford, david AT Oakhaven.org)

Event Marshal-in-Charge: Lady Sarah Sinclair (Sally Sanford, sarahsan AT
embarqmail.com)

Chief Cook/Site Manager: Lady Clare Garland (Karen Oxford: karen AT
Oakhaven.org)

*DIRECTIONS:* David and Karen Oxford,1850 Browns Gap Turnpike,
Charlottesville, VA. /From Charlottesville: /Easiest route is to follow
250 W towards Crozet and make a right onto Browns Gap Turnpike. This
will be a three way intersection between 250W as it turns towards Afton,
240W as it goes into Crozet, and Browns Gap Turnpike. Follow the road
past Beaver Creek Park and we are about a mile beyond the park on the
left just past the power substation. SCA directional signs will be
posted. If you get lost, call (434) 823-2336.