[Archers] EQ / TA archery

Jonathas Jonathas at RedFoxDen.org
Mon Oct 12 12:01:46 PDT 2015

Will there be an addendum to the rules?  While the current rules will
safely cover equipment and use, the current range rules do not cover
movement of the shooter well enough.  That applies both to EQ and regular
TA as well.  EQ just has the movement based on horseback, but regular TA
has had a number of ranges where the archer is moving as well, for example
the "Merida/Brave" shoot that Karl and I included with our Lochmere Arrow
shoot, the Chalice walk/run shoot a few years ago, plus several others.
Most have been handled as 'one off' ranges and carefully looked at, though
some initially not as well as they should have been.

This would be a great time to set the rules for those type shoots, which
could then primarily be applied to EQ TA, but would also cover our own odd
shoots in a uniform and well thought out manner.

With those rules added and the current marshal warrant structure, there
would not be EQ TA marshals.  Only EQ marshals, TA marshals, and marshals
who have both warrants.

EQ already has a number of authorizations.  I would lobby against requiring
an EQ TA authorization for shooting while the horse is on a lead rope (with
the guide on foot/walking or on another horse).  But I would highly
recommend adding an authorization for "Unguided EQ TA", where the Archer
must demonstrate they can guide the horse with only their feet while "dry
firing" (at a very small draw of perhaps 1"~2") the bow while "aiming" at
the intended target(ie focusing where the arrow is to go not where the
horse is headed).  This both shows the rider has enough control of the
horse without hands, and that the horse is not skittish about the bow
without a guide.

Jonathas