[Archers] St. Sebastian by Gerrit van Honthorst

Garth Groff sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:51:49 PDT 2015

Noble Friends of the Bow,

While cataloging a French art book today I ran across this painting of
Saint Sebastian, being shot full of arrows:
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/gerrit-van-honthorst-saint-sebastian
. The painting is by Gerrit van Honthorst and dates to 1623. While
nobody can be completely sure of how accurate the presentation of the
arrows is, there is a good chance that these have at least some
authentic period features. I have seen at least one portrait of a
nobleman with his arrows that dates to about 1550 with similar arrows,
so I feel pretty comfortable they can be taken as fairly accurate
representations for late period SCA use.

Since 1623 was pretty much past the end of military archery, we can be
reasonably certain these are gentlemen's sporting arrows. This is
further suggested by the cresting, as a lower class archer would
probably make their own arrows without cresting. These were likely
professionally made. All four arrows have more or less the same crest,
from the point end there are two black bands, then some sort of figure
or design which cannot be clearly seen on any of the four, two more
black bands, then three more black bands just before the fletch. One has
two black bands between the fletch and the nock. If the artist painted
from life, than all the arrows probably were made by, or belonged to,
the same person.

Three of the arrows seem to have the same color fletches, a white cock
feather and two red hen feathers. The arrow which is lodged in the
saint's breast (it is also the arrow with the extra cresting below the
nock) shows two white feathers. Since it is somewhat different, this
arrow might have been from a different batch, or might have had some
special use by its owner. There are three different fletch shapes here.
The arrow through the saint's arm has swallow tails, and the fletch is
slightly rounded. The arrow through his thigh has straight-cut
shield-back fletches. The remaining two arrows are both slope-backed
shield-cut. In short, though the arrows appear to be of a family, they
are all slightly different. None of the fletches appear to be bound on
with thread.

The shafts appear to be unpainted. They were likely treated with boiled
linseed oil, or a beeswax and tallow mix. All are self-nocked.

What seems odd is that the two arrows which have gone through the
saint's limbs do not appear to have points. Particular the arrow through
the thigh, *seems* to be just sharpened wood. Perhaps there are points
here, but they are obscured by blood. The arm shot is very hard to see
due to the shadow effects, but appears to be the same.

I loved seeing what I could squeeze out of this picture. Anyone else
have different opinions?

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge