[Archers] What's Happening at On Target!!!

deallac at juno.com deallac at juno.com
Thu Apr 30 02:57:21 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: Lthrgryphn <lthrgryphn at aol.com>
To: deallac at juno.com
Subject: On target writeup
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:31:03 -0400

I am not on the general Atlantian list. Can you post this? On Target 2015 This year at On Target we are going even farther back in time to 1340 and the very beginning of the Hundred Years War. Back to the time around The Battle of Sluys (pronounced like “Sloys”). On Target will have a warmup range and the traditional woods walk targets. There will be an afternoon historical battle re-creation of the Battle of Sluys. We will also have an Atlatl battle just for the fun of it with loaner gear for people without atlatls. Some background and details for those who like those things: The French king Charles IV died in 1328 leaving only daughters at a time when they didn’t let women rule. His nearest male relative was Edward III of England, but the French decided they didn’t want an English king on the French throne and they chose Edward’s cousin, Philip, instead. Years back, when Edward II married Eleanor of Aquitaine, the lands in Aquitaine were held in vassalage to the French crown.  But Edward III did not see himself as subordinate to his cousin Philip and was reluctant to be his vassal. Philip confiscated Aquitaine on the grounds that Edward had breached his obligation as vassal and thus precipitated the series of conflicts that has become known as the Hundred Years War. On Target takes us to the time of the battle. As Edward makes ready to sail for Sluys in Flanders he and his troops have to gather supplies and avoid various hazards sent by the French forces. At 2:00 we will have a recreation of the battle of Sluys. Edward’s forces included England’s famous longbowmen so all folks wielding handbows will be shooting for England. The French forces were primarily defended by the Genoese crossbowmen, so all folks wielding crossbows will be defending France.   ***Warning***  In this re-creation all participants will be held to the rate of fire of their respective types of bows. The longbowmen were said to be able to fire up to 20 arrows a minute. The Genoese crossbowmen, however, have been reported to only be able to fire 2 arrows per minute. One report showed that their rate could be boosted temporarily, but the faster rate could not be sustained.
 Kryss Kostarev