[Archers] rounds for the Atlatl

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 25 14:38:58 PDT 2013

Just a point of difference between atlatl and archery.  In archery the
energy of the bow limbs gets transferred to the arrow causing it to fly down
range at a high rate of speed.  In atlatl it is a spring mechanism.  That
is, the throwing stick, the atlatl, causes the dart to flex, storing the
transferred energy.  The dart then literally springs off the atlatl and
flies down range.  Therefor good atlatl darts need a degree of springiness
to be effective.  To test out this theory in a crude way, try throwing short
darts, say 4 feet long, and see what kind of results you get versus your
"normal" 6 - 7 foot darts.

In this case archery and atlatl are living examples of my favorite saying
"It's exactly the same, just different"!

Now the question really is, who had any clue that such primitive weapons
such as bow and arrow or atlatl and dart were so complex?  ANSWER:  Physics
PHDs with nothing better to study!

cog