[Archers] Crossbow classifications

Jay Nardone jaynardone at comcast.net
Sun Sep 15 13:35:52 PDT 2013

Good afternoon everyone, I just wanted to take a minute to discuss again
what is considered "non compliant" in Atlantia vs what is acceptable. I
originally was involved with this topic at Pennsic again this year, then at
an event right after Pennsic and now again this weekend. I had sent a note
to everyone after Pennsic stating that we have law governing "triggers" on
crossbows and they should not be "failed" for this reason. I stand by my
words and want reiterate once again that no marshal should be failing
crossbows based on the trigger mechanism alone as we have no precedent to do
so.

This is not a finger pointing at anyone and I understand that this topic can
be a difficult one to address. If you find yourself in this situation I
would also ask that you ask the help of a marshal, regional or DEM who might
be more experienced. I don't want archers being turned away because of
mis-information. It has been my observation that many of these instances
have involved marshals that I never see at Unevent or a University marshal's
class, which is alright but I am beginning to think that our refresher
classes are not conveying the proper information. Please ensure if you are
teaching marshal  you follow the Target Archery handbook and the MiT and
Instructor handouts posted on our Atlantia archery pages maintained by
Master Jonathas.

For clarification, the crossbow in question this weekend I failed for safety
related reasons with the action, not because it had a "gun stock" or
"trigger." Baron Mors is currently producing crossbows with a "gun stock"
that are perfectly legal and were documented in the 1400's. The gun stocks
we are talking about are actual modern rifle stocks or crossbow stocks
converted to SCA use. Also the all aluminum bodied crossbows like a few
shoot at Pennsic are not considered "Spirit of the game" and we don't allow
them in Atlantia.

The reasons to fail a crossbow as stated in our rules and training materials
are the following:

1.       Shoot through prods or split prods

2.       Trackless design where the bolt does not ride in a track and the
string floats in the air

3.       Modern gun stocks or all aluminum body construction (modern)

4.       Safety issues with any part of the crossbow

Sorry about all of the words, I hope this helps ease the confusion going
forward. I thank all of our marshal's for the jobs you do! Please keep up
the great work!