[Archers] Bolt caps

Groff, Garth (ggg9y) ggg9y at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 29 04:43:50 PDT 2013

Noble Friends,

Thank you all for your advice on the bolt caps, and especially sources. One more question for you all to ponder. Have bolt caps any historical precedent? My idea was to make replica bolts with leather vanes as an A&S-type project, and make them safe to shoot (at least as a test). If bolt caps are not period, then they are the wrong solution to this problem and I will need to look at other options, perhaps other ways of mounting the vanes.

By the way, a friend who makes bolts tried some with wooden vanes, apparently historically accurate. He said they flew well, but the vanes were easily damaged (not surprising). I'm sure wooden vanes were intended for one-use ammunition.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge
Read "The Tale of Mungo Napier":
http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html