[Archers] Bolt caps

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Thu Mar 28 13:48:30 PDT 2013

I've seem people use bolt caps ... and have mixed results.   They end up
creating a 'smooth' end and therefore the string can jump.

However, what I've done (and others) with great effect, is to put a
'ring' on the end.

Buy 5/16" OD brass tube (or whatever you are using for wood diameter).
Cut it into 1cm lengths or so.   Sand down the ends of the bolts for
that to tightly slip over.  Add a little glue, pound it on.

Back when I was trying hard for my Ludicrous I started doing this,
because it made the bolts much stronger, I could robin hood my own bolts
and they wouldn't get destroyed.

Siegfried

On 3/28/13 12:42 PM, Groff, Garth (ggg9y) wrote:
> Noble friends,
>

> Does anyone here know of a source for bolt end caps? Does anyone here
> use them at all?
>

> I was curious about the possibility of creating some period bolts with
> leather fletching. To make the fletches stay in place, I envisioned
> mounting a single piece of leather sticking out both sides in a slot cut
> into the bolt end, much as you would when inserting a horn reinforcement
> in a period arrow. I think something like a cap would be needed to make
> the bolt safe to shoot, given the force put on the end by the string.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> Yours Aye,
>

> Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge
>
> Read “The Tale of Mungo Napier”:
>
> http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html

Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia