[Archers] Book Review

Groff, Garth (ggg9y) ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Jun 24 04:06:27 PDT 2013

Noble Friends of the Bow,

I recently bought a copy of Wulf Hein's MAKING BOWS WITH CHILDREN (Schiffer Publishing Ltd., ISBN 9780764344428). This is really a neat book for getting children started in archery. Besides making simple bows, it shows arrow building, accessories, how to shoot, plus a section on range safety. Even if kids aren't going to make their own equipment, the range instructions are worthwhile for teaching them the basics. What makes this work really useful to us are the many step-by-step illustrations, including how to tie off whipping around fletches, how to make a closed loop bow string, and how to tie a bowyer's knot. Great stuff! I noticed that the book is in the new arrivals section of the 3Rivers on-line catalog. I bought mine through Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller (online: http://www.hamiltonbook.com/ ) at a substantial discount. It is a really useful book, and should be in the library of every Scadian archery marshal whether you work with children or not.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge
Read "The Tale of Mungo Napier":
http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html