[Archers] Ymir and Archery

Padraigin O'hEachach padrgroups at charter.net
Mon Jan 28 17:07:21 PST 2013

Good evening,

I have watched this thread for a few days now with growing dismay, although
perhaps not for the same reasons as many have expressed here.   This list
is essentially a public forum.  As such, I would hope that we could discuss
the very real concerns people might have with this situation without
getting into assumptions and personal attacks.  I suspect very few of you
have corresponded directly with Master Gaston on this matter, and am
concerned at the level of vitriol directed at him.

I do agree that the situation is unfortunate, and hope that something can
be worked out, as I would like very much to shoot at Ymir.  That is
unlikely to happen without reasoned and polite conversation.  I suggest, if
this has not yet been tried, that someone pick up a phone and have an
actual conversation.

It is clear that archery is not an overlooked activity in the Kingdom of
Atlantia, given how many events do support archery, and the number of
archers who receive recognition.  The steps many of you have taken to
recommend others for awards and display the many, varied talents of our
archers, are increasing visibility and knowledge of archery among the
general populace.  Rapier, equestrian and A&S communities have all
expressed similar frustrations about access and visibility over the years,
and have done a great deal to increase their stature through such
educational displays, but also through service to the Kingdom outside of
their chosen favorite activity (as do many of you).  It takes time.

I hope to see you on the range at Ymir, but if not, I will still be there,
and hope I'll see you elsewhere at the event.

Kind Regards,
Padraigin